This post is brought to you by Pompeian. All opinions are 100% mine.
Grilled teriyaki chicken over mixed greens with strawberries, apples and cantaloupe, tossed with fresh herb vinaigrette. Garnished with pistachios, raisins and gorgonzola cheese.
Spring salads are one of my favorite things about the changing season. You get to fill your plates with fresh ingredients, healthier options and also the chance to get creative with your salads. Did you know it is National Salad Month? I know we have so many food holidays but this one is especially fun. It is also National Vinegar Month. How perfect as it’s impossible to enjoy a great salad without a delicious salad dressing. I decided to celebrate both these events by recreating a favorite salad of mine using Pompeian Balsamic Vinegar.
This Sonoma salad was inspired by my favorite salad at a local restaurant in our little college town. I love it so much I’ve been there at least 4 times this month to order it. Being the lovely food blogger that I am (read broke graduate student), I had to recreate it at home so I could have it at any time, for a fraction of the cost. After one last visit for research purposes solely, I think I was able to recreate it in all it’s glory. The salad starts with grilled teriyaki chicken over mixed spring greens. It is then topped with chopped strawberries, apples and cantaloupes.
For the dressing, I made a fresh herb vinaigrette to toss the salad with. I love using Pompeian balsamic vinegar in my salad dressings because it adds a great dark and deep flavor. This herb vinaigrette is light and perfect for a spring salad as you don’t want to weigh down all the greens in a heavy creamy. You will definitely be #DressingItUp with this dressing! Finally garnish the salad with pistachios, raisins and gorgonzola cheese (or blue cheese).
Isn’t that just a bowl of freshness you would love to dig into? This salad is bound to be your new favorite salad.
- 1 chicken breast, cut in strips
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces Spring Mix lettuce
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled & sliced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 cup cantaloupe, diced
- A handful of pistachios
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 2 tablespoons gorgonzola cheese (or blue cheese)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Pompeian balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme/ oregano or ½ teaspoon dried thyme and/or oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pepper, to taste
- Wash and dry chicken breast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Marinate in teriyaki sauce for at least an hour in refrigerator. Grill chicken until done, about 10 minutes. Let chicken cool.
- In the mean time, make dressing. In a screw top jar (or small bowl), combine all the dressing ingredients. Cover and shake well (or whisk until combined). Serve immediately.
- Add fresh Spring mix lettuce to two bowls. Top with strawberries, apple, cantaloupe, pistachios, raisins and cheese. Toss to mix everything together. Serve with vinaigrette.
How will you celebrate National Salad Month? Be sure to check out these 15 Fresh Spring Salad recipes. For additional recipe ideas, you can visit the Pompeian website. Or visit them on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram.