Roasted Persimmon Yogurt Bowl
This roasted persimmon yogurt bowl is a quick and easy breakfast bowl full of winter flavors.
(This post was originally published in 2014. Republishing today with new images and updated recipe).
One of the things I take for granted is that I am experiencing new things everyday. Despite living in the US for over a decade, I still get to experience new flavors, new dishes and traditions now and then. I keep discovering fruits that are not native to Africa. I’ve told you about my discovery (and love) of pears, pomegranates and now it’s persimmons.
I first tried a persimmon a few months ago while staying with a friend in San Diego. Her one-year old daughter and I shared one and I was hooked despite only having a few bites because the baby was enjoying it more than me and I had to be a good Aunty. So I had to get my own when I returned home.
Have you ever tried a persimmon? I love the texture, sweetness and of course the vibrant color. To me it’s a mix between a pear and a pumpkin. Is that even possible? And look at that gorgeous color! My exploration lead to this roasted persimmon yogurt bowl that I made a few days ago for a healthier breakfast.
This yogurt bowl is my new way of adding texture and diversity to my mornings. I used plain 0% fat greek yogurt as the based and topped with roasted persimmons, homemade coconut granola, pistachios and chia seeds, all drizzled with honey and a sprinkle of sea salt. Lots of crunch and good-for-you toppings and diet-friendly if you are on one at this time of the year.
- 1 ripe persimmon, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped shelled pistachios
- 2 tablespoons homemade granola
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, toss persimmons gently with oil. Spread persimmon on baking sheet. Roast for about 30 minutes or until persimmons are tender and not mushy. Let cool completely before using.
- Place yogurt in bowl. Top with roasted persimmon, pistachios, granola, chia seeds. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with sea salt.