Pumpkin Pound Cake with Apple Cider Drizzle
A moist and spiced pumpkin pound cake with hints of orange is topped with a sweet apple cider glaze. Perfect for fall entertaining!
We are starting the pumpkin baking here on Blahnik Baker. I spent most of September enjoying local apples I picked and made some epic apple recipes I cannot get enough of with more to come (Salted Caramel Apple Cupcakes & Caramel Apple Pie with Cheddar). But I am taking a break and introducing some pumpkin into my life now that it’s officially fall.
I started of course with a classic; a pound cake. Ever since this 7UP pound cake from the Grandbaby Cakes Cookbook, I’ve been obsessed with making pound cakes. A moist and soft pound cake is just a great treat!! And that’s exactly what this pumpkin pound cake is; a treat perfect for any crisp fall day.
Heck thinking ahead, this cake will be perfect for your holiday table as we enter the season of entertaining soon.
Why’s it awesome? Well, apart from the fact that we have a great pumpkin flavor in there, it’s soft, crumbly and easy to bake. It’s perfectly spiced with warm spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger) and it’s also boasting hints of orange. A slight hint of orange zest brings out the pumpkin flavor even more. I finished the cake with a simple apple cider glaze instead of just a plain vanilla glaze. The apple cider spices are a great touch to top it all.
All in all, this pumpkin pound cake is a MUST try folks!! I promise you will love it. Oh just heads up, I made this recipe in a small bundt pan (6-inch) but you can double it for a regular 10-cup bundt pan.
- 1 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- zest from 1 orange
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3-5 tablespoons apple cider
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 6-inch bundt pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter, sugar and orange zest. Cream together on medium-high for 7 minutes, until butter is pale yellow and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, combining well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract and pumpkin until combined.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add the flour in two batches, mixing each time until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Let cool to room temperature.
- For Glaze:
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until it’s pourable.
- Once the cake is completely cool, spoon glaze over the cake and allow to harden.