Baked Carrot Cake Donuts
Just when I thought the sunny 30 degree weather meant Spring was finally on the horizon, Mother Nature decided to show us who is boss. We woke up to 4-inches of snow yesterday and it was just a kick in the stomach to have to deal with that again. But I keep telling myself soon, very sooooooooon it will be sunny, warm and spring will have sprung. That’s why I am all about everything pastel right now.
I told you guys I will move away from lemons at some point (lemon haters celebrate!!). These baked carrot cake donuts are a far cry from lemons but they are spring perfect too! Easter is just a few weeks away and everyone is looking forward to enjoying the classic carrot cake but why not start your day with carrot cake donuts? We know I have a thing for baked donuts (aka breakfast cakes) and since I acquired this KitchenAid mini donut pan, I’ve been enjoying donuts in cute minute sizes. Seriously goes well with a cup of coffee on any day.
To make these baked carrot cake donuts, I started with my favorite carrot cake cupcake recipe and scaled it down to make mini donuts. After testing the recipe with gluten free flour, I took out the oil but kept all the spices that make carrot cake special. With a dash of cloves, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon, these carrot cake donuts are moist, sweet and topped with a traditional cream cheese icing. Icing that is beautifully colored to suit the season. Tell me you don’t want to try these this week AND for easter brunch in two weeks.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- a dash of nutmeg
- a dash of cloves
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup grated carrots (about 2 carrots)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a mini donut pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg and cloves.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Add in the buttermilk and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry in one addition and mix to combine. Fold in the grated carrots and walnuts.
- Transfer batter into a pastry bag (or ziplock bag) and fill the prepared donut pans. Fill each about ⅔ full. Bake donuts for 6-7 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 1 minute before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- To make frosting: whip cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and 2 tablespoon milk. Mix until combined. For a thinner consistency, keep adding milk, one tablespoon at a time, until frosting is pourable.
- Ice cooled donuts with icing. Let icing set, about 20 minutes, before enjoying.
More Carrot Cake Recipes Around the Web:
Healthy Carrot Cake – Well Plated by Erin
Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies – The Baker Chick
Soft Baked Carrot Cookie Sandwiches – URBAN BAKES