Summer Vegetable Galette
A summer vegetable galette that’s simple, honest and delicious with juicy veggies!
We are going to embrace this summer head on today people with a summer vegetable galette! Embrace and hold on to it for as long as possible because before we know it, it will be GONE.
Are you swimming in summer vegetables right now? Please tell me I am not the only one. Between our tomato plant and my weakness for corn and the farmer’s market, I am swimming in vegetables. A co-worker have a load of zucchini and that cued the zucchini baking. But first up, a savory galette for dinner on Saturday. When I am feeling lazy after a long day of chores, this easy galette was just the answer.
So what’s going on here? Well, it’s quite simple. A flaky buttery pie crust is spread with a fresh herb cheese mixture and then topped with summer vegetables tossed in olive oil and fresh herbs. Simple good. It’s incredibly delicious to say the least and just perfect for the summer. You can use any of your vegetables from your garden here. I used zucchini, summer squash, corn and tomatoes. But I am sure any combination will be delicious here too!
I hope you are having a great summer!
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons shortening, cold and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¼ medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup zucchini, sliced
- ½ cup summer squash, sliced
- 1-2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup corn kernels (from fresh corn)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- Prepare ¼ cup ice cold water and refrigerate until use. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Process a few times until butter is about the size of a pea. With processor on, slowly drizzle in ice cold water to mixture, one tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together. Remove dough from bowl and pat down into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, mayo, onion, thyme and black pepper. Salt to taste.
- In a medium boss, toss the vegetables with olive oil, fresh thyme, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. When dough is chilled, roll out into a 12 inch circle. (I rolled mine between two well floured parchments to make transfer easy). Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly in the middle of the dough, leaving a 2-3 inch border around. Spoon vegetables into dough, placing them on top of cheese mixture. Fold up the sides, gently tucking in over the veggies in a folding/pleating pattern. Brush dough with egg wash.
- Bake galette for 50-60 minutes until crust is golden and juice from the vegetables runs out. Let cool before serving warm.
More Uses for Your Summer Veggies:
Can I ask you guys for a favor before you leave? I’ve been preoccupied with the health care epidemic facing my country, Sierra Leone and region of West Africa. If you are not reading the news, there is a deadly outbreak of Ebola currently in West Africa that has claimed the lives of almost a thousand people. My family (mom, brothers and sisters, extended relatives) lives in Sierra Leone where the outbreak is rapidly spreading and they are all living in fear. Worse of all, my little sister just started her residency at one of the local hospitals and is in the middle of this battle. Needless to say, I am scared, helpless and just on edge praying for a resolution soon.
I am asking for your prayers. Please keep the people of Sierra Leone and all those affected in your prayers.