Blackberry Coconut Ice Cream
Hi friends! I have for you the FIRST ice cream recipe of the season! Last year I failed in my ice cream making agenda because of how busy my summer was with graduating and starting a new job. But I intend to make up for it this year and I am starting with this blackberry coconut ice cream!!
It is creamy, delicious, bursting with blackberries, lime and coconut flavors. Just delightful and perfect for the summer.
This ice cream recipe starts with making a blackberry lime compote. Fresh blackberries are cooked down with lime juice and zest and sugar to give you a thicken blackberry compote for swirling. Next, we make the ice cream base. This is my favorite shortcut base that doesn’t need to temper eggs but yet yields a creamy ice cream base.
To make the base, all we need to do is whisk together a whole can of coconut milk, sugar and heavy cream. Together these will be chilled and churned before the compote is swirled in the last few minutes of the churning. Finally, once you transfer the ice cream to your storage container, swirl in the rest of the compote before freezing.
This is seriously the best ice cream I’ve made in a long time. The combination of sweet, tart blackberries with creamy coconut flavor is insanely good and perfect for summer! You need to try it soon.
Blackberry Coconut Ice Cream
The combination of sweet, tart blackberries with creamy coconut flavor in this blackberry coconut ice cream is insanely good and perfect for summer!
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- zest and juice of one lime
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk, chilled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream, cold
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, combine the blackberries, lime zest and juice and 1/4 cup sugar. Cook over medium heat until berries soften and breakdown and mixture thicken. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Chill until ready to use. (If you do not like seeds in your compote, feel free to pass it through a fine sieve and chill the syrup).
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk together the coconut milk, remaining sugar and vanilla extract on low-speed until the sugar dissolves, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream until combined. You can refrigerate the mixture at this point until ready to make the ice cream.
- Turn on your ice cream maker. Pour mixture into the freezer bowl and churn until thickened, about 20-25 minutes following the instructions of your manufacturer. During the last 5 minutes of mixing, add in some of the blackberry compote.
- Transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container and swirl in the rest of the blackberry compote. Freeze for 2-3 hours or overnight.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us Instagram using #blahnikbaker so we can see what you are baking up in your kitchen!