BEYOND THE OVEN

Despite being blue and cold, the days are going so fast and time isn’t just standing still. Sometimes we need to stop and smell the roses.

Here are a few things that brought a smile to my face the past few weeks.

These roses :

IMG_3570

Coupled by having my friend with us on our romantic Valentine’s Day. Mr J invited her over and cooked us dinner so she would feel loved and didn’t have to spend the day alone. Makes my heart warm that he takes care of my friends :)

This ice dancing duo.

meryl-davis-charlie-white-us-nationals-top-short-program

Have you been watching the Winter Olympics? These guys were phenomenal on Sunday and won the gold medal for the US. Did you see that they have been dancing together since they were 5 years old? So cute

These chilli peppers from NM in combination with Meagan’s The New Southwest cookbook. I am in Southwest heaven these days.

CHILES

This New Apron from Julie! Love it.

2014-02-21 21.45.41

This painting!! SO proud of me. Went with some girlfriends for a fun wine and painting class. Gave it to the hubs as Valentine’s present and he has it up in our hallway.

PicMonkey Collage

Oranges. Particularly blood oranges…just so pretty and vibrant. I have a few recipes coming soon for you!

blood oranges

What made you smile this past week?

Comments

1. Jamie | Jamie's Recipes says

What a great list! That painting is great! I wish I was half as talented.

What made me smile this week? Hmm it has been a super crazy week filled with sickness from one family member to the next. My two year old son made me smile this week as he is really conversing like an adult and it seems so crazy that such a little guy knows so many words and sentences.

• Zainab Mansaray says

Thanks Jamie! I hope the family is feeling better :) And isn’t their growth in sentences just amazing? love it!!

• Zainab Mansaray says

I wish I had beautiful sunshine Helen. But it’s still cold and blue. I am excited about blood oranges!!! Two recipes done this weekend lol

2. Heather {Woods of Bell Trees} says

That is soooooo sweet and adorably thoughtful that he invited your friend over for V-day! I love the painting that was a super gift!

My smiles were: my little man insisting that I come snuggle with him this morning and my hubby spending an excessive amount of time explaining details of photography.

Love that apron! I need to get one…I am tired of getting ingredients on my clothes!

• Zainab Mansaray says

Thanks Heather!! He is great to me and my friends :)

Awww your little guy is so cute!! And you need to get an apron…I have way too many white tops with stained splashes that now I must wear an apron to prevent shopping lol

3. Kelly says

Mr. J is so sweet and nice for inviting your friend over for Valentine’s Day – it shows how awesome he is and is definitely a keeper :) Love the gorgeous painting and adorable apron! The warmer temps and sunshine came back this week and that made me smile since I got to see how happy my lil guy is when he gets to play outside and go out and about – blood oranges make me smile too and I can’t wait to see what you make :) Enjoy the rest of the weekend Zainab :)

• Zainab Mansaray says

Thanks Kelly! He is very sweet ;) The warmer temperatures are making me happy too!! So glad your little man enjoys outside. Hope you have a great start to the week :)

4. Cate @ Chez CateyLou says

Your week sounds great, and it is so nice to have a reminder to stop and appreciate the little things! Your roses are gorgeous! And I am obsessed with blood oranges – I think they might be the prettiest fruit ever! We made a blood orange cocktail the other day, and I can’t wait to post it! Looking forward to your blood orange posts too! xo

5. Laura Dembowski says

The sunshine and a day above freezing made me smile this week. Oh, and making the finals in The Kitchn’s contest. Couldn’t believe it. Those roses made me smile too. My Valentine’s flowers from my dad are still hanging on. The lilies are just opening and smell so good. Have a great weekend!

6. marcie says

That is the most wonderful thing that Mr. J made your friend dinner too — what a great guy! I love your painting, your apron, and I can’t wait to see the magic you made with blood oranges. :)

7. Nancy @ gottagetbaked says

That’s very sweet of your hubs to invite your friend over for dinner. I’m loving your new apron and that painting is awesome! I suck at painting/drawing (even my stickmen look terrible) so I’m totally in awe of your artistic skills. Stuff that made me smile this week? I just scarfed down a chocolate frozen yogurt at my desk. That definitely made me smile ;) Happy Wednesday, Zainab! It’s just a quick two days until the weekend (wahoooooooo!)